If the answer is yes, youll enjoy our new series on summer comfort foods. For your first inspiration on what to do beyond salads on these long hot days, look no further than these three magic words: Pressed Picnic Sandwich.This simple (yet bursting with complex flavour) meal is set to be your go-to lazy weekend lunch, at least until you break out the trackies.
(see Jonos instagram post for more pics)
Loaf of Bread
Woombye mature cheddar (sliced)
Megachef Oyster sauce
Garlic Chilli sauce
- Cut bread length ways and pinch out some of the middle
- Spread Buffalo feta like butter on one side
- Slice eggplant and zucchini and baste with mix of olive oil and miso paste
- Cook on a grill plate or bbq and allow to cool
- Layer eggplant, zucchini and cheddar slices
- Char yellow capsicum over direct flame until blistered. Allow to cool, peel and slice. Place on top layer.
- Cook steak on high heat bbq. When around halfway cooked, remove and baste with oyster sauce. Return to heat until cooked. Allow to rest and slice thinly and layer on top.
- Shave cucumber into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Place in a bowl and liberally cover with salt flakes. Allow to sit for 10 -20 minutes to extract water. Rinse and dress with a dash of vinegar. Layer on top of beef
- Spread garlic and chilli sauce on other side of bread
- Roll up in cling film and press with a bit of weight, for example between two heavy saucepans, for around 30 minutes
- Enjoy, while wondering why you havent been doing this every day since late October.
Stay tuned for the next instalment in our hot-weather-comfort-foods series snapper ceviche on crispy chicken skin