The Super-Italian Caprese Sandwich
The caprese salad is a spring/summer staple because of its use of delicious, fresh and seasonal ingredients including basil and tomato. It is a favourite not just of Italians but of folks everywhere. However, sometimes a simple salad doesn't cut it and, even though it's delicious and easy, you just want more. That's where the super Italian caprese sandwich comes in. It's a delicious mix of the classic caprese salad with an Italian sub, made easy on healthy multigrain bread. This sandwich is great to pack and take on springtime adventures, including the local markets.
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 4 slices of multigrain bread (or your preferred bread)
- 4 slices of fresh, low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices of ripe tomatoes, large ones such as heirloom tomatoes
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 4 slices of salami (choose your favorite variety)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. If you want to make your own pesto, blend pine nuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese and basil leaves until smooth. Spread a tablespoon of pesto on each slice of bread.
2. Add thick slices of mozzarella in a layer, add tomato slices. Sprinkle a generous pinch of salt and pepper and let sit for a couple minutes. After the salt has dissolved, add salami and prosciutto.
3. Drizzle balsamic glaze on top. You can also make your own balsamic glaze by simmering balsamic vinegar in a pot until thick. You can optionally add brown sugar for a sweeter glaze or to make the process faster. It should take about 1 minutes with sugar and closer to 20 minutes without. Cool before drizzling on top.
4. Replace top slice. Wrap with cling wrap or baking paper, then store in a container or a silicone bag. Use an ice pack or a cold drink to store it if you're travelling with it. Enjoy!
P.S If you're missing our food and wine pairing this fortnight, try a rosè or a pinot grigio with this sandwich.