Fusion food has never looked like this before. It's delicious, creamy, cheesy and bacon-y, the best of two Italian favourites — pasta and pizza. If carbonara is your favourite, or you want to upgrade your pizza game, try this. It's a super simple preparation, no roux or white sauce making required, that still has all the delicious flavours of the creamy carbonara and the delicious cheesy crunch of pizza.
- 100g of Voodoo Bacon (either streaky or shortcut), cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 pre-made pizza base
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 250°C. If you want to be extra fancy, preheat a pizza stone or upside down pizza tray while you do the rest. In a large pan on medium heat, cook Voodoo Bacon until mostly crisp but still slightly bendy. Rest bacon on paper towel-lined plate.
2. Put your pre-made pizza base or homemade dough on a tray or board, depending on if you're preheating the tray. Top the pizza base with an even layer of mozzarella and parmesan, avoiding the very centre (to allow room for an egg), including a couple of centimetres clear of the crust.
3. Sprinkle cooked bacon over the pizza. You can add a few extra stripes of bacon for visual interest or extra bacon flavour.
4. Place pizza in the oven for around 10 minutes, until golden brown and cheese melted, then crack the egg into the middle of the pizza. Return pizza to oven and bake until egg white is set but yolk is still runny; this should take 2-3 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper, break the yolk, and enjoy!