- Oxtail (or another low and slow cut such as Osso Bucco)
- Olive oil to coat the bottom of the camp oven, or another heavy bottom pot
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, diced (garlic can be applied according to taste)
- 1-2 large carrots, sliced or roughly chopped
- 1 head of celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, quartered or roughly chopped
- 1 whole tomatoes diced
- 2 cups of red wine
- 2 cups of water
1. Brown oxtails in olive oil in a hot camp oven and remove when nicely coloured, like a dark brown.
2. Sautè garlic, carrot, celery and onion in additional olive oil (if need) in the camp oven.
3. When onion is transparent return beef and add a generous amount of red wine.
4. Reduce wine for a ten to fifteen minutes, until most of the wine is gone and the vegetables and meat have absorbed it, then add enough water to cover meat.
5. Put the lid on and keep over a low heat until meat is falling off bone and sauce reduced.
Serve with pasta or mashed potato or whatever you like!
A special treat — Banana S'mores!
Like s'mores but without the biscuit.
Cut or peel a line in the Banana peel so you can open the skin. Fit marshmallows, and squares of chocolate or a chocolate bar into the sides. Cook the banana over a fire on the grill or on a stick until the chocolate has melted.
To add extra depth of flavour, you can do a few extra steps, including using beef stock instead of water, adding fresh herbs like rosemary, bay leaves, thyme. You can also dust the beef in flour to thicken the sauce and add a caramelising/browning feature to the beef.