Delicious, melt in your mouth winter warmer to feed a family of four or just yourself if you dont feel like sharing!
1 large carrot, chopped into small cubes
Approx. 1 kg of brisket
_ cup seasoned flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 tin of diced tomatoes
1 cup of Beef stock or broth, if using home-made ensure not to include the fatty layer
8 thyme springs
A handful of basil and rosemary
Pepper and Salt (for example smoked salt)
To taste BBQ sauce (for example Jack Daniels BBQ sauce)
1 Baguette and/or a few bread rolls
- Put carrots at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Coat the brisket with the seasoned flour and shake off the excess flour. Keep the remaining flour to thicken the sauce later.
- In a hot pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, brown the meat. Once brown on both sides place it into the slow cooker.
- Put the other tablespoon of oil into the pan and add the garlic and onion. Cook for 30 seconds, so they just start to become soft.
- Put the garlic, the onion and the remaining ingredients (be sure to add a healthy dose of BBQ sauce) into the slow cooker on top of the meat. Ensure that the meat is completely covered with liquid, otherwise, top it up until it is submerged.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook for approx. 8 hours or until soft and falling apart.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Season and add more BBQ sauce to taste.
- Gently pull the meat apart, it should fall apart.
- Slice your rolls and/or cut the baguette into 4 even sections and begin to pull out the fluffy middle from the baguette making sure to leave a good 3 cm so the meat doesnt fall out the other end.
- Stuff and fill the baguettes and rolls and top with any salads you like.